Old 07-19-09, 08:44 PM
Connell
Wheezy Rider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hello all,
Stumbled across this site today and wanted to say thanks for this wealth of information. If I'm not careful, I can see myself spending too much time reading about cycling and not enough time cycling.

I did quite a bit of touring back in the day and am thinking about having another go. Right now a new bike isn't on the cards financially so I'm just going to make do with my hardtail mountain bike. I have a full squishy which I usually ride on the trails and the hardtail gets used for dirt roads, cycle paths and around town. I'll get some smooth tires (I see a couple of people recommended Schwalbe so I'll check those out) and I have some bar ends kicking around in the shed somewhere which shouldn't take too long to add on.

My question though...my bike has front suspension so I understand that prevents a front pannier rack (it does, right?). And I've read about the potential challenge with MTB chain stays being too short for rear panniers. Sooooooo, does anyone have a recommendation for a rear rack and panniers that would a) fit on a mountain bike and b) would eliminate / reduce the heel bashing problem?

Thanks in advance.