View Single Post
Old 02-17-15, 07:18 AM
dave42

Bikes: 1989 TREK 400, Suntour accushift drivetrain. 80's Raleigh mtb all Suntour.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Stone
Definitely a wake up call! At least you got the wake up call (and answered it) before you had your own heart attack.

3.2 miles in 34 minutes is fast - a very brisk pace. Maybe I'm slower because of age, but I've discovered a good, gonzo walking pace for me is about 3.3 mph. And when I'm doing that I pass most of the other walkers. I wonder if I'm not actually walking faster than I have calculated, because it's a rare bird indeed that can keep up with me.
could be that you're walking a little faster. Last time i checked, pushing my bicycle on flat ground, i could comfortably walk 4 mph. If that's special, it's because of the jobs i've had in construction, where it's a hike to get to the truck, and we need a thing NOW. up a 20 % grade, pushing a 100 lb bike in the national forest recently, i set a comfortable walking pace, and it was just a tad slower than 2.5 mph. If i sped up a little, the speedometer kicked on at 2.5.

3 mph is a fair average for traveling purposes, if you ever decide to walk across the country.

When i was a kid, i walked or rode everywhere in my town of 60,000 or so. Across town and back would be about 20 miles, plus meandering. 30 mile days were normal. As were 30 mile hikes up in the mountains.

It seems that I am a more efficient walker than i am a cyclist. I could walk 30 miles today without food, and feel fine. Years of conditioning, by virtue of rolling out of bed each morning.