Old 08-08-18, 06:54 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by jitteringjr
Not going to be much help, but wanted to say good luck with it and it would be cool to hear how it goes for you. I grew up in Southern MN by Mankato so I am familiar with the area. Starting at midnight should give you about 9 hours of cool weather to ride in so that should help with how much water you will need to make it past the first 150 miles. How much are you thinking you will need? At 65-70F here in Denver, I am thinking I could probably make it 150 miles with my large camelback with water and 2 bottles of sports drink, but MN is a lot more humid and I would sweat a lot more there than I would in CO. Do you think you would need a lot more water than that? You could add a top tube frame pack and put a second camelback bladder in there. Or you could mount these brackets to the handlebars and add two more bottles up there:

https://planetcyclery.com/velo-orang...r-cage-bracket

How are you going to keep the electronic stuff charged? Will you be using a dynamo type hub to keep your lights going? Cell phone and or Garmin or other computer? Or will you be bringing battery packs to help with this? Or do you think you will not need that and get additional lights or batteries at the check points?

Here is a good video on food and hydration from gravel cyclist at the DK200 if you haven't seen it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGSc0KZH7K8&t=307s

Anyhow good luck and have fun. Let us know how it goes. Maybe I'll give it a go one of these years when I visit my parents up there.
Thanks!

My current plan is two large water bottles with a Scratch Labs mix on the bike and a 3L CamelBak of water. I have fork mounts to add more bottles, I'm going to see about the weather before adding the fork mounts. Additionally, I'll keep a Coke and/or a coffee drink stowed in my CamelBak for late night energy.

I just bought a Garmin 1030 for it's 20+ hour battery life, and will be testing it this week with a local 24 hour race. As a back up, I'll have my old 510 and that'll easily give 12 hour back up GPS. My phone is well testing and great - Moto Z with battery 'mod' - my work can have me working on my phone for 16 hour days. I know from other long rides, my phone stays in a pocket 95% of the time and the battery lasts much longer.

If I keep doing these type of rides, a dyno hub is in my future!

I will be sure to share my experiences from The DMAn