Old 08-14-18, 08:40 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Whether GT can finish a race he hosts or not doesnt seem to be good reason to dislike the way the race is run. Thats basically saying that if he could do the TransIA, then you wouldnt blame him?.
That's exactly what I'm saying. If the guy actually knew from personal experience what it takes to finish an ultra-endurance event then maybe he wouldn't be so fixated on including rigid, inflexible obstacles that add nothing to the race and really detract from the overall level of physical competition. But instead he can't even finish one Dirty Kanza but he's really arrogant and condescending towards people who can't finish TI because of some intentionally confusing and misleading cue sheets.

And this isn't sour grapes -- I never had any desire to enter TI (and obviously can't anymore because it won't be happening again) -- I draw the line at events that are more than 24 hours. Also I have no problems reading maps and cue sheets -- reading maps is kind of a big deal in the Field Artillery and I've carried those skills with me for years. Plus, I've only had a bike computer with navigation for about a year so before that I exclusively navigated with cue sheets. I just think it's silly and arrogant not to provide GPS files to people who want them.

[QUOTE**ETA- i am not attacking you or trying to pick a fight. just found it funny that GT is blamed and decided to respond. I completely understand someone not liking cue sheets.[/QUOTE]

Ha, no worries -- so far it's a friendly debate and I've always enjoyed your commentary on the gravel forum. I mean, I agree a promoter is free to run a race how they want, and if that includes cue sheets that's their prerogative.

Just like it's my prerogative not to participate in those events.