View Single Post
Old 06-06-19, 08:25 AM
army14

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
sometimes a smaller/skinnier tire is a good thing. it forces you to pick better lines and get conservative on an unfamiliar road. the dirt part is entirely downhill so there's that. i never slid out on
the downhill. i generally don't recommend 23's for people riding any substantial segment of dirt but i did it w/o a flat running 100 psi. granted...i'm an idiot like that and the skinny tires definitely helped on the
ascent of refugio. it's a matter of knowing your riding style/acumen and comfort levels. that said, i think you can roll 23's with a bombproof wheelset. i went with a medium weight wheelset and 23's and rode
35 miles (up hwy 154 and down old san marcos rd.) after the descent.
a lighter/racing wheelset will get beat up all to hell with 23's. if that's the wheelset you're rollin, i'd def rock 28's. and yah...low traffic on refugio. i think i saw 4 cars on refugio in 16 miles.
it's a shame that more people don't even consider refugio heading through the area. granted, it's challenging and a proper sense of adventure (said that somewhere before once or twice) but not
wholly unreasonable if you're a decently seasoned rider or have tons of form./gumption. hwy 101 and hwy 154 scare riders and for good reason because of high-speed traffic. this route doesn't
have that. it does make you question your sanity once or twice but the views and the solitude more than pay the fare.
I have never ridden on dirt or gravel, except for my journey over the Old Road, which included everything, including some quicksand I think. I made it and only walked when it was too sandy. I'm using the HED Ardennes disc wheelset. I'm in no hurry on a dirt downhill, so I will just take it slow. I'm using the GP4000. I have used the 23 and 25 and never really noticed a difference, but it was all on road. Probably my toughest descent is Deer Creek, in the Santa Monica Mountains.