Thread: Chains
View Single Post
Old 09-17-17, 01:15 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
I've settled on the Izume ~$30 chains (one step up from the Eco I believe). Love 'em. Yes, tey are noisy, but they strike me as very solid and reliable and the least likely to throw off. (Big concern going down major hills. I've come down both descents off Crater Lake, the fun ride into Ashland, OR, nearly all of Portland's west hills descents, likewise the Chelem descents south of Portland.)

I run the black chain on my winter/city/rain fix gear, silver on my custom ti fix gear and gold on my recently "remodeled" Peter Mooney, now also fix gear. I ride the black chains and drive trains into the ground as I never change cogs to change gears. The shiny chains get far more attention as I ride many cogs on those bikes (and they share cogs). Use the Izume quick-link on the silver and just drive the pins back in on the Mooney as it has multiple chainrings set very close and the quick-link is too wide. Both the silver and gold chains sport 1/2 links as required. (Small point that bugs me - when I went to look for chains for all three bikes last spring, no shops had those Izumes or could get them. I had to order them from the UK. Prices were decent and the service fast, but - why not here in the US? I've been buying those chains locally for years.)

Ben