Old 04-17-20, 09:51 PM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked 820 Times in 412 Posts
Originally Posted by Pobble.808
Also worth noting that Japan has zero tolerance for DUI. I lived there for years and never saw anybody drive after taking even a single drink. Not saying it never happens, but obviously a lot less common than in the US. Many people told me that if you get caught, you lose your license, period - no wrist slaps.

As for higher accident rates circa 1960, this was probably due at least in part to having a lot of new, inexperienced drivers on the road. It seems to be a common phenomenon in societies as they become more prosperous. Then the rates go down gradually with more experience, enforcement, safer road design etc.
When I got my license in Japan, I went the full route. I had to attend driving school, which is most bookwork, as the written test contains some 200 questions. Many are obscure, and designed to trick you, of the five possible answers, more than one may be correct, but you have to choose the most correct. Then you have to spend a number of hours behind the wheel with an instructor. After each session, you get a mark in your card. Then you need to attend a safety course, practice in a simulator, and get a CPR card. Next is the written test, which is taken in a large room with at least 100 other people. About half fail the written test on their first attempt.

Next is the driving test. Normally this is done on a close course, but when I took my test, the course was being renovated, so I had to take the test on the open road during rush hour. Everyone fails their first attempt, half fail their second attempt, some never pass. A person I took my test with was on her 8th attempt (which she failed). Each attempt costs 3000 yen. I passed on my second attempt, and was quite proud of myself.

Overall, the cost is about $3000 for a basic car license. When I renewed my license I had to sit through a long lecture with 150 other people, watch a movie, pay a fee, and get my renewed license. I kept my nose clean, had no violations, and the second time I was renewed, I was given a "gold" license. One of the advantages of a gold license is cheaper insurance, and you can renew your license at a less crowded center.

The standards for a license in Japan are very high, not to mention the cost. But the rules of the road are beaten into you, and people drive more safely as a result.