Old 12-05-14, 07:13 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Renewed!!

Unlike some (many) of you, I am pretty much a utilitarian when it comes to things like bicycles. If it works OK, I leave it alone. I don't do any mechanical work, and besides lubricating and wiping my chain, keeping the tires at my preferred pressure for the bike I am using that day, making sure the tires are safe and the brakes are working, and carrying proper tire changing tools and tubes, I pretty much leave the bike alone, except for a much-needed Selle saddle and a change in stem to fit my changing 75yo body.

I discovered that a local long-term (30 years) LBS had what they called a "Major Tune Up" for $150.00 which included recabling brakes and shifters, taking the drive chain off with an excellent cleaning, inspection and adjustment, wrapping the bars with my preferred color, and other things one does during a tune up which included a pre-inspection of the chain, cassette, chain rings, and wheels. So, I took my 1999 Lemond BA in for a tune up. Upon inspection of the wheel it was discovered that there were cracks in the wheel near the spoke holes, so I got a new wheel.

Total:

$150 tune up on special for $105 during the winter season.
Ex military discount of 10% on parts (wheel and brake pads)
New wheel

Total - $208.

It looks beautiful.

Due to some extreme family emergencies, I have not had time for a real ride, but got out for a few miles today. It shifts, brakes and rides like a new 1999 Lemond BA, which is a wonderful ride. So, another 40,000 miles on this bike will make me quite happy and last me into my 80's.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 12-05-14 at 07:40 PM.