KFC
Harsh Adventurer

Bikes: Co-Op adv1.1, Cannondale Synapse 105 Carbon

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Lightweight laptop and charger

I faced the same dilemma about 18 months ago for my solo ride across the country. I carried my cell phone for navigation and communication, but I also carried a small, light and inexpensive laptop. I created a daily journal, posted and responded to FB, read, responded and created email and watched the occasional television program. I really appreciated a full size keyboard and display. I also updated and sent out a complicated spreadsheet that would not run on my tablet or phone.

I carried the HP Stream , a small thin laptop that weighs 2 pounds, not including the charging 'brick'. It runs for 10 hours on a battery charge and it has an electronic disk (no disk drive). I carried it in a cellophane bag for 3700 miles and 71 days through rain, snow, mud and extreme heat. I can't count how many times I dropped it. I also carried the 'Fensix Dart' universal charger, a very small, very light charger that delivers up to 65 watts of power - enough to power most laptops. I left the 'brick' at home. I charged the laptop about once per week whenever I stayed in a motel. I used the USB ports on the laptop as emergency power for charging my phone, GPS and lights if needed. Its not a fast computer, and it has very limited memory (32 GB for the 'C' drive and an optional 32 GB in a SD card), but it got the job done, and it only cost $180. I loaded only the programs I needed and purged the operating system of anything that I did not need. I still have it. The outer case is scratched up, but it still functions perfectly. I will carry it again on my next tour.