Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 2,437 Times in 1,425 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
I think the point was there is value in specificity of training. If you want to improve your sprint on the bike you’re probably better off spending your time sprinting on the bike than in the gym. If you’re a pro or retired with unlimited time available then there could be value in augmenting on the bike training with gym work but for most time restricted athletes working on the bike is probably a more efficient use of time provided you are ‘working’ on the bike and not just riding around.

Intersting article: Comparison of short-sprint and heavy strength training on cycling performance
HST is great for the standing start where one needs max force at zero speed. Craig Maclean may have been the best leadoff man in team sprint anchored by Hoy. Note the other two riders have the banking to assist accelerating their bike whereas the starter is in the start gate and not much banking to use to get the bike rolling from zero. I suspect these guys are in 108 gear inches or more.

Track sprinters are generally 50/50 between the weight room and the track. I like strength training on the bike and use standing starts, seated starts, flying and seated jumps and other sprints such as flying 100, 125 and 150 meters. I do some leg strength in the gym but generally add box jumps after lifting so that the muscles get popped by the fast motion of the jump and therefor learn to relax fast after contraction.