View Single Post
Old 11-26-20, 11:33 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,092 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by SapInMyBlood
A bit on context:

Someone using disc brakes on their road cycle-touring machine in flat country might only touch the brakes a few times a day for traffic lights, or to pull into a cafe. very light brake use every few hundred KM and might easily do 6000+ km per set of pads. I know here in Australia, I've done long 300km+ day rides on my roadie but because there's so much open country, I might only touch my brakes a handful of times. I've done 150km bike rides that had 3 turns! The rest is open road, no lights, no hard curves, just gentle and meandering hills.

Vice versa, back home in Vancouver (BC) when I was mounting, I was climbing and descending 500-600m of vertical every lap which was only a few kilometers ... and using the brakes HARD for technical black/ double black mountain jank and chunder.

When someone spits out a number like "Same pads since 2015" just be mindful of context.

If you're a 95kg rider who is cautious on descents, that sounds about right. Why not try metallic pads and save yourself a bit of coin over the longterm?
As the person who “spit out [that] number”, I am mindful of the context. I even stated what my context was. I live in mountains and ride in mountains and understand how to use my brakes to the best effect without over taxing them. I was merely pointing out that dragging brakes on downhills is going to wear out pads very quickly.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!