View Single Post
Old 11-30-20, 07:44 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 257 Posts
I first rode rollers in 1976/77 while in the dorm at Ohio State. Jim rode a 25"-frame racing Paramount, and I already had my 23"-frame Fuji S-10S. His rollers were obviously adjusted for his bike, and when I'd borrow them, it was a challenge -- more of a challenge than just riding rollers - because my Fuji had a longer wheelbase so the front tire was 'over-center' in relation to the front roller. I didn't want to mess with adjusting the wheelbase of the rollers since they were not mine. Anyway, that over-center situation made it even more imperative to have a smooth pedal stroke - or I'd ride off the front to a spectacular crash&burn. After just a few short weeks, I was comfortable enough that I could ride either one-handed to reach for a water bottle or even no handed. That smooth pedal stroke has stayed with me ever since. Efficiency of motion!

I've had my own rollers for over 35 years - a cheap set of PVC-drum Tracx - but I also sprung for the optional wind-resistance turbine. The faster I go, the more resistance. Not quite like real riding, but it is nice having that increasing resistance -- and the breeze - although I normally place a 20" fan in front of me to keep myself from getting too overheated.

This past Spring I bought a better set of rollers with aluminum drums and better bearings on a closeout sale. Now that riding season has come to a close here in the North (I won't ride on salted roads) I'll be setting them up in the living room, much to my wife's displeasure... She has the recumbent exercise bike in the bedroom, and a spa-quality treadmill in one of the spare bedrooms, so she has no room to complain about me...