View Single Post
Old 03-15-21, 04:32 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 932 Post(s)
Liked 1,319 Times in 491 Posts
Originally Posted by itsnevertoolate
T
I find I reach MHR quite quickly with effort and seem to be limited by heart rate and lack of oxygen albeit they are both getting better.... am interested in the schedule if available...
How are your estimating your MHR? Reaching it quickly suggests to me that you are using the incorrect old wives' tale 220 - age method. That formula has been thoroughly debunked as irrelevant to older folks and vastly underestimates true MHR. There are a number of different methods for properly determining MHR. Probably the most common and easiest to implement reliable method is to do an on-the-bike test (with an HR monitor) where after warming up you ride up a moderate incline, progressively increasing your speed and energy output (and HR) at approximately 1 minute intervals until you become completely unable to increase further. Your highest measured HR should be at or slightly below your MHR. The problem with using the 220 - age formula and thereby underestimating MHR is that when basing your zones on that number you aren't riding hard enough and therefore won't receive the benefits of a proper training regimen.