Old 07-24-11, 06:01 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by TheBikeRollsOn
Well, building from scratch is a good idea because it forces the builder to become familiarized with bikes, so when the bike messes up, they can fix it themselves.
I think this is the worst advice ever...and it comes up a lot. I could build a microwave from scratch...that doesn't mean it will heat my sammiches better.

The whole "you'll know how to work on it" argument is invalid, too. I learned how to properly maintain bikes long before I ever built one from scratch.

If you want the same invaluable "learning experience" from an off the shelf bike that you'd get from building a custom bike...at half the cost? (because it's the learning experience that makes it worth while, right?). Here's what you do:

Step 1: Buy a complete bike.
Step 2: Take it apart.
Step 3: Re-assemble it.

Now you know as much as the guy who spent months buying parts and building a bike from scratch. Seriously. That's all you gotta do.

Originally Posted by TheBikeRollsOn
It'll probably cost a bit more than buying complete, but you'll end up with what will probably be a little better than buying a kilo tt and you'll have the experience.
It will cost A LOT more than buying complete. Not a bit more. A lot more.