View Single Post
Old 01-30-20, 08:06 AM
bikingman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dsaul
The design of those dropouts is focused on MTB usage and the angle between the chainstay and seatstay is 44 degrees, so its no surprise that your 74 degree angle doesn't line up. Its not a problem that can't be fixed by modifying the seatstay connection point. Framebuilding is rarely plug and play, there is a fair amount of metalworking that takes place to make the pieces fit together in a pleasing way. In your case, I would move the stay back some, so its more in line with the rear of the dropout, and reshape the inside curve of the dropout to better match the stay.

Having used these dropouts on several frames, I would advise you to purchase the optional titanium bolt kit. The steel bolts that come with it make it difficult to get enough torque on them without rounding the hex on the head. It takes a lot of torque to prevent the drive side rocker from slipping forward under load. The Ti bolts have a stronger hex and an external 12 point socket head.
This is great insight, thanks,dsaul! And thank you for confirming my thoughts on the nature of framebuilding... My thinking was that could file off the tab that's sticking into the rear triangle given the protrusion is relatively small. Actually, I think my excitement of variable chainstay lengths was a bit misguided and this frame may not be the best candidate for this dropout, but I'll address that above below.

Last edited by bikingman; 01-30-20 at 08:24 AM.