USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,088 Times in 637 Posts
Originally Posted by jda775838
I haven't ridden alot since my younger years, but I've had a Schwinn Tiger & Schwinn Traveler. Right now I have a Raleigh Ram, but wanting a good Raleigh road bike, something highly recommended in most opinions. Never really done my homework before getting a bike, so starting now & taking my time. Enough to find answers anyway.

So far I'm seeing the Pro, Competition, Super Course, Grand Sport, International & Grand Prix. I've seen some Pros & Internationals, but not in my area (south central PA), mostly 70s Records, so was thinking those & the imported ones. If I'm going to aim for better models, I should probably set a high budget, like $500+ & drive an hour or so to get a great bike. So that's where I'm at & my budget.
South Central - as in Harrisburg/Lancaster/York? Lived there for 20 years before life took me away about 7 years ago. You just missed the annual World Cup Ski & Cycle bike swap in Camp Hill. No telling what would or would not have been there. The local Craigslist was hit and miss there, but patience can pay off. Won't hurt to check surrounding areas' CLs and Marketplaces. Also might not hurt to try going to Merv's (near Shippensburg) next time you need consumables. He may have some vintage bicycles for sale (though not necessarily on display).

As for which Raleigh? The Schwinn Traveler is roughly equivalent to a Raleigh Super Grand Prix of the 70's. I think you'd be happy with any thing Super Course or up, but I am partial to Competitons and Internationals.