View Single Post
Old 07-10-20, 03:54 PM
kid_pro_quo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, I bought this bike! When I picked it up it spun rough but not too bad (I thought).

The rear derailleur was in fact bent. Once it was back in place found out the on-frame hanger needed to be retapped. Ordered a kit from amazon, watched a few vids and got it on. Still wasn't spinning right - crank was too close to the frame. Problem was a bottom bracket with too short of a spindle. Someone had tried to put a large spacer to correct it. Didn't work. Ordered a new bottom bracket. Wrong size. Ordered another and while taking on/off the previous one I over-torqued it and had to bring it to the LBS for help.

Ordered and installed a new chain.

Wheels are original but required another trip to the LBS to be trued. Rear needed a lot of help. Ordered new tires, tubes and rimtape.

Ordered handlebar tape, brake hoods, cables and housing. Realized one the brakes was missing a part of the assembly and bought a similar one off ebay just for that small piece.

Ordered a seat post, bolt and saddle.

Got everything together and even though I knew one the middle cogs was missing a tooth I didn't think it'd be a big deal. Wrong. It made all the shifts rough and eventually broke off another tooth. Ordered a new freewheel.

Finally sorted, I was able to commute to work for over a month and it rode great. Previously, I've only had aluminum and the ride of steel was a welcome change.

After all that, I realized the bike was a bit too small. Measures 56 from middle of crank to top of tube. I'm a bit over 6'. I've since picked up a miami vice Centurion which is now my main ride.

...tried to upload photos, but this is my first post