View Single Post
Old 07-18-19, 02:45 PM
momsonherbike

Bikes: 1995 Giant "Nutra" crosstrail, 2012 Giant "Avail 1" road bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 19 Posts
Look at Giant's LaFree E+1. VERY female biker friendly. Aluminum bike with a carbon belt drive (no more chains to clean or break or stretch or dirty your leg, no more derailers to break or bend), and disk brakes. Upright "comfort" low step-through build, easy to mount/dismount. The kick stand is set back to facilitate ease of entry. Handlebars come with ergo-grips. Tires are low pressure fat to facilitate riding on multiple surfaces besides pavement. The tires are FAST, too. Not pokey by any means.

The motor is SILENT and very user friendly. Smooth and gentle on application so you aren't jerked around or surprised. 250 watts continuous with an exceptionally powerful low end torque to help get you going reliably and quickly from a start, enough to keep up with other riders if you are in a group. Does an excellent job "flattening hills" within reason, removes any and all headwind, and comes with a dial 8 speed internal shifter so you can chose what gear you want when you want it. There are 5 power levels - Eco, Eco Plus, Regular, Regular Plus, Sport. Class 1. Pedal assist only, no throttle.

Battery can go 65 miles per charge when power mode is set to "regular" with intervals of "sport" when hills are climbed. This is my real life experience, btw, not just manufacturer's claim. The lockable battery is mounted on a rear rack - easy to charge on the bike (which is how I do it), or be removed for charging or security. It can also be easily hidden by panneries to make the bike look completely analog while out riding.

I have one and highly recommend it. I find that it is incredibly comfortable and super fun to ride, plus stylish enough that it doesn't scream "ebike!!" Sells for about $2,600+.

Look for a store that sells Giant bikes. My bike store sells Trek and Giant, but pushes Trek more. Didn't like their Trek ebikes - they looked clunky with the midframe battery, and the motor just wasn't smooth enough for me plus they had the chain and the derailer - something I was no longer interested in having on a bike. I wanted an internal hub and a carbon belt drive. I had to order my Giant, and (no surprise) the store sold another one when a customer got a chance to look at my bike once it came in. I'm 66 and have no trouble lifting this bike up, even with the battery in it, to put inside my car for transporting. Then again, I don't have a bad back!

Hope this helps.

Last edited by momsonherbike; 07-18-19 at 11:08 PM.