Old 12-25-18, 04:21 PM
cobalt123

Bikes: Salsa Marrakesh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by csport
I have a very similar setup: semi-upright riding, just under 300, sit bone width is 130 mm (measured using both cardboard and Specialized tool). I have a wide (150mm) WTB Rocket, did GAP and C&O on it. The left-to-right cross-section of this saddle is flat with almost vertical sides, so you get an honest 150mm; and the saddle does not press on the sensitive bits. The only drawback I can think of is that there is more or less one seating position, you cannot move back and forth much on this saddle.

I also have a 155mm Specialized Toupe Sport, did 50 miles on it last Saturday. It has much less padding compared to WTB Rocket. Sit bones hurt after it, I have read similar complaints about this saddle from other people -- it probably matters given our weight.

If you do not mind me asking in your thread:
  1. Speaking of less padded saddles (WTB Volt, Koda, Specialized Phenom/Toupe, Brooks), does the butt typically break in after some riding? Specifically in the context of an uber-clyde.
  2. C19 carved is 184mm wide, C17 is 164mm. If I understand the theory correctly, the rider is "suspended" in Brooks saddles and one should not sit directly on the saddle frame. This probably means that people with wider seat bones should try C19 over C17. I am looking into it myself.
Thanks for the reply and good questions.