View Single Post
Old 06-09-19, 07:23 AM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
Interesting to hear from you guys who raced with these parts when they were the hot tickets. The discussion of value provides helpful information.

Some of the rest of the discussion unfortunately veers off and follows the same old Campy vs Shimano, pick a side line of thinking. Why not enjoy both?

The comments about NR shifting poorly seem greatly exaggerated, in my experience. Keep in mind, I consider myself a riding novice. I run one over a 14-24 6-speed freewheel and it shifts like butter. Yeah the pulleys cracked and I replaced them with Shimano's because that's what I had. It's a plastic wear item from 1979, for cripes sake! Ramped cogs and a "Z" chain and if anything's going to bungle a shift, it's the rider. Frank Berto's assessment means absolutely nothing to me. YMMV. I don't expect it to shift my 32-tooth Suntour freewheel. That would be irrational. It wasn't designed for that. I have a bike for that. I ride the Campagnolo-equipped bike where my legs can take it, and it's a blast! Heck, I live on a hill that's about a 16% grade. Coming home is always a chore,

As for Shimano, they have nothing left to prove. You like them or you don't. Nothing wrong with that. Competition is a good thing. The great thing about the world of cycling is that we have choices - lots of 'em!

Ride on!