Old 06-17-19, 10:50 AM
Le Mechanic

Bikes: 2020 Pivot Vault, 1983 Rossin Record, Garneau R1, Mesamods home built gravel/rain commuter bike, 1995 Barracuda A2V modified with Surley single speed dropouts, 1969 Bottecchia junkyard special fixed gear, Cervelo P4, Mesamods 650b klunker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 50 Posts
Tip: My tubeless sealant in tubes experiment

I moved to Denver 1 year ago, and have been commuting daily (99% of the time) at a distance of 36+ miles roundtrip per day. The first few months, I got quite a few punctures, more so once I discovered the many gravel trail options along the way. I didn't want to go full tubeless since I switch tires frequently depending on the situation and weather conditions (road tires, gravel tires, studded ice tires), and I don't have room to store different wheel sets with different tires in my apartment.

In October of 2018, I put tubeless sealant into my tubes in each of the different tires I'm using. The result is after 7000+ miles in all conditions, even some epic rocky single track, I've had 0 flat tires!

I'm currently in the process of experimenting with the new blue Bontrager tubeless sealant in some inexpensive road tires. My plan is to ride in the worst possible conditions (in the gutter with all the road debris, in the grass along the sides of the bike paths, and LOTS of gravel), and see how they hold up after a month or so. I made a video on the process and I'll make a follow up video with the new experiment results.

Likes For Le Mechanic: