Old 06-26-19, 10:32 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by irwin7638
I used Stan's sealant in tubes for a season and was pleased, but found that Flat Attack pre-filled tubes were a better alternative.
I have had mixed results.
Works great on a 2" or wider tire. Almost too good (It worked so well that I didn't notice a nail was in the tire, then the nail went through the rim side of the tube and sealant did nothing for that).

Did not work at all for me on 700c tires.
- Does not seal pinch flats (or spoke caused holes) as it does not seal a leak near the rim.
- For some reason it didn't seem to want to seal any holes in the 700c tubes.

I have had several "flat attack" tubes that had a defect where they all blew a hole (about an inch from the valve) when they were aired up. That was a big turn off and quite a mess.

Originally Posted by RubeRad
It adds as much weight as the weight of the sealant you put in. I'm not sensitive enough to detect any difference to the ride feel, but it's sloshing-at-the-bottom weight, not rotating weight, so I don't think it would be that big a deal. I can't imagine it would make any difference to the rolling resistance, that's a function of the tire impacting the ground

Centrifugal force usually spreads it out pretty evenly when riding, so in my case I have found it to be rotating weight.

weight or rolling resistance bothers anyone, tubeless will save you a couple watts and maybe some weight over using an inner tube.

Originally Posted by Le Mechanic
I work at a bike shop that sells Trek. All Bontrager presta tubes have a removable valve core. $7.99 +$4.99 for a bottle of sealant seems like a pretty inexpensive investment if you can get 6 months to a year without any flat tires.
Good to know. All Schwalbe tubes have removable cores. Most of the generic Taiwanese tubes I've bought don't.