Old 03-26-19, 04:28 PM
bluehills3149

Bikes: depends what week it is..

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 47 Posts
The restoration is complete.
For wheels, I laced up a set of Sun M13 rims to some old Normandy hubs I found andI restored - not original Normandy Luxe but they look the same and take english thread freewheel. The freewheel is some random 5spd I had in the parts box but the gearing is 14-28 so easier on the hills.
I replaced the suntour shifters with an original Simplex set I got on ebay The front derailleur was also from Ebay but i put the original derailleur's parts on it to keep it original looking. The brakes' rubber hand grips were rotted away and also missing the brass cable adjuster but I scored a whole set off ebay for cheap and they looked to be unused so I put them on complete even though the white plastic lever covers are not original to this era but I could remove them if I wanted.
The paint was pretty badly chipped down to the metal and scratched - not to mention a yellow hue all over and I started touching it up with white paint (Rustoleum Gloss white in a can) but the more I touched up the better it looked so I eventually sanded it with 800 wet&dry and painted it all over but left the stickers alone. The lugs I painted with Gloss black. From 2 ft away it pops but close up you can see it's not perfect but it's a darn improvement over the as-found paint. The Reynold 531 stickers were already marginal but then flaked off completely when I gave it a wash with simple green trying to remove the yellow hue so I replaced them with a set from Velocals that look original.
All the bearings (sans the crank as I don't have a stronglight puller) were all replaced as were the cables with jagwire white outers (which I have a roll of and have been trying to get rid of for years). A Brookes saddle (B17 alas not the professional). Bar tape was also from the parts box but I'm not sure I like it as it looks too cushy for the era. Maybe cloth tape.
Otherwise it rides well although the brakes still need adjustment to stop squealing and I love if the seat went up a bit more but on the whole it turned out pretty swell.