View Single Post
Old 07-08-19, 06:31 AM
Kilroy1988 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,844 Times in 609 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa
I have built a lot of wheels and the time frames suggested in the above quote are way off, in my opinion. By the time I set a wheel up, in my truing stand, and then true it, and dish it, and stress relieve it and, and, and... Five minutes, for me - impossible!

As for tools needed, I put together this list of tools, focusing on cleaning all the way up to full professional restoration, tools that one will require for each level of vintage bicycle maintenance. Hope it helps...
Well then, you do it differently or more slowly than the guys I've watched in the shop! The rim in question literally probably has one if not two adjacent spokes that are not quite right - only a slight wobble on one side. I've seen such a thing corrected multiple times and usually we can hardly have a conversation before the mechanic hands the trued wheel back to me.

Thanks for the list. I already have a grand majority of those things - I even have a little spoke wrench already. I just don't have a truing stand and I have no other frame set with the same size dropouts to set this wheel into, and the one it will be used on does not have brakes or pads attached yet. So I figured I could not true it decently just having it mounted on the frame right now.

-Gregory