View Single Post
Old 01-18-20, 09:54 PM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
I sometimes rely on a separate GPS device too. But, the GPS in your phone is a receive-only function and is pretty much always operating (for emergency services). Receive-only apps don't use that much power IF the screen is off. When the workout is completed that is when the recorded GPS data is uploaded to your account via cell or wifi/internet (I think if you use the Summit version of Strava, with the live monitoring, it uploads as the workout is happening.) Turning off all other apps while you're in a workout using Strava will help lessen battery drain. If you have any wifi-dependant apps open during a ride or run...and you're not in range, or logged into a wifi network...those apps will deplete more energy searching for a wifi network. So in other words...Strava (or and GPS app) doesn't require a lot of battery power until you're back home and complete your workout (or unless you leave the screen on constantly). With only the Strava app running, and the screen off...I have been on rides of six hours and still have plenty of battery life.

Dan
and again much easier to use a Garmin. No worry about battery and having to shut down apps then turn back on. You also don’t have to take the phone out of battery saving mode for Strava to work.