Old 06-09-11, 09:20 AM
ddimick

Bikes: 2011 Look 566 Ultegra, 2010 Specialized Sirrus Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mjwithtwins
I might start using my old camel bak for hydration on longer rides. It is more to carry but I know I used to drink way more wearing it then I do with just bottles.
I'm currently training for my first full century after completing my first metric century a month or so back. Things I learned on the metric:

I've thought about taking a Camel Bak but ultimately decided not to. I carry two bottles and that is sufficient for the distances between the rest stops, where I refill. I have enough to drink and I avoid carrying more than I need.

I also make sure I take a sports drink and refill. You'll tend to consume more, which is what you need to stay hydrated, plus you get some electrolytes, sodium and potassium. I try to drink both water and Gatorade (or whatever) in equal amounts on my longer rides.

I prefer sports gel over energy bars. Easier to carry and no danger of digestion distress at an awkward time. The caffeine gives you an immediate boost.

Good-quality shorts (I prefer bibs) with a good chamois are necessary. Maybe you can tough it out, but why would you? Some, including me, find they need chamois cream too.