Old 11-13-15, 07:53 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by deacon mark
I personally would want a BSA english threaded BB but they may soon be a thing of the past. I think that Shimano has the best front ring shifting when you use all shimano components therefore I would avoid the 30mm spindle. The best choice from what I can see is the Praxis Bottom Bracket which is really not an adapter but a conversion. I have not actually used one but from all I gather this is the ultimate solution. Seems a bit more money but I sure do not want to be doing anything to my BB 3 times a year or even every 2500 miles. My Wilier has 10000 miles on it and the external BB is perfect spins like a top never had done a thing. My Motobecane has 9000 miles 5 years of riding and same thing never a BB problem.

Just give me those old time BSA thread BB any day of week, repeat.............just keep making those english threaded BB for people like me.......a bike mechanic.
The question is why not have both threaded shell and oversize crank. The FSA BB386 standard has aluminum, 30 mm diameter, 86.5 mm long spindle and is compatible with several BB types including oversize, outboard cups that thread into the BSA shell. I am not sure how the ball bearing size in BB386 compares with that in Hollowtech II. Perhaps you could shed some light on that. In any case Shimano could offer cranks that would be supported by that standard without significant depature from its current principals.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...