Old 10-27-17, 08:27 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 2,551 Posts
I've been using small flip phones for years. I carry it on bike rides primarly so I can call emergency if I crash. I use those fabric wallets with two folds and velcro but I first sew on a wider strip of velcro. When I ride, I put the phone inside the wallet. It is well padded and my ride has to get very wet before it sees water even if I didn't bring a jacket. Plus it never comes out and if I crash, it will still be there and likely still work, even if I land on it. Drawback/benefit: it is near impossible to pull it out in time to answer even if I hear it.

Edit: I know this doesn't make me a very good "road cyclist" in this forum's context. My bikes have no electronics at all save a blinkie and headlight when needed except one (usually one of my lower bikes) with a simple cadence computer for the trainer. I ride to get away from the digital world, not to bring it with me. And, to take me still further from "road cycling" norm, most of my riding is on bikes where being one with the road is a step more concrete - riding fixed. So for me, the ultimate road bike is pretty simple. (I do carry those brake things around though.)

Ben

Last edited by 79pmooney; 10-27-17 at 08:34 AM.