View Single Post
Old 05-15-20, 10:19 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
I think it's more likely that the faster I go, the less able I am to hear anything. Wind noise is generally measured as 85DbA @ 15mph, but wind noise doubles with a 50% increase in speed, so I'm dealing with ~88DbA @ 22mph.

Cars and trucks are in the 75-85DbA range, so they're simply quieter than the wind. I can't hear the cars because I can only hear the wind. Which is exactly what I've been saying the entire time.

Frequency differences matter, so this isn't as neat a relationship as that.

I can very distinctly hear car tire noise while riding at 23 mph. I tested that again just last evening. It's at a very different frequency than the wind noise.

What's hilarious about this topic is we all have different strategies based on our riding habits, environment and perceptual strengths/weaknesses, and this always degenerates into people trying to prove that their's is the only rational way.

BTW, because of reaction times, an additional second of warning is actually quite valuable.