View Single Post
Old 05-19-20, 08:53 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,011 Times in 518 Posts
Thank you to everyone posting kind words, it helps to talk it over with friends.

Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster
Rule #1 : Do not engage.
Rule #2 : Always obey Rule #1 .

Life is good.
Yes and no. It does matter where you live and the bike-community. Minneapolis area is generally bike-friendly; however, I do ride in other parts of the US where "do not engage" is the only rule.

I've had mixed reactions around Minneapolis area with conversations. I'd say my favorite one was many years ago on my commuter route that required ~2 miles of 4-lane, no shoulder, 40 mph+ traffic - most stressful part of the day. I've had many punish passes, one did everything to run me off the road (as a gravel & CX rider, this wasn't hard to handle) ... One afternoon I get the buzz pass within the lane (I'd left too much room, I was too close to the gutter); I shout with my big, booming voice and use hand signals to express my feelings. The vehicle disappeared around a curve, I thought that was the end of that, but no, there's that same vehicle stopped on a cross street. I'm ready to unload on this guy, but as I get close enough to exchange words, he says he's sorry. I'm sure the shocked look on my face was clear as I thanked him for taking the time to apologize. OTOH nearly all exchanges are loud voices without anybody hearing anything the other is saying, totally worthless.
Likes For Hypno Toad: