View Single Post
Old 04-08-17, 08:09 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,593 Times in 1,437 Posts
Originally Posted by bonsai171
I took a measurement of the chain last night, and it is less than .5% wear (can't put the .5% end of the chain tool in the chain). Park recommends replacing the chain at .75% for 9 and 10 ten speed chains, and .5% for 11 and 12 speed chains. What is the replacement point for 1 speed chains?

Dave
There'should no real guideline for single speed chains. It's simply a question of economics. The chain will run and transmit power up to 3% stretch, which is 6 times the guideline for derailleur chains. At that point you'd replace the chain and sprockets together.

The concerns relating to derailleur systems don't apply to SS unless you're using a strong tensioner on the lower loop.

BTW - if you opt for a 3/32 chain, buy the widest one, ie. One for 6 or 7s, since wider chains are cheaper, and last longer, and you have no reason to go narrow.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.