Old 08-20-19, 05:13 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3891 Post(s)
Liked 1,940 Times in 1,385 Posts
Speed and power sessions: The usual is "speed work" which is 30" all out, 5' rest. Power sessions are usually a type of sprint. A familiar one is "stomps" where one puts it in a huge gear, slows to maybe 10 mph, and hits it hard as possible for ~15". I don't remember the rest periods. A few minutes usually. A power workout I enjoy is 45" all-out standing hill sprints, 5' rest between. Do all these until you start to lose power, usually 6-10 reps.

Capacity sessions for me are longish hilly rides, no more than 4 hours, done to my limit, so I can hardly walk at the finish. I have to lay the bike down rather than dismounting. The idea is to increase total work capacity. The hills would be over FTP, as hard as I could go and not blow up, until I couldn't anymore, then just push as hard as possible without needing an aid car.

These wouldn't be in an easy week. It's just that you can't go all out if you're tired, so you have to be well recovered. I usually do the speed and power workouts when I'm in my last couple of months before a major ride or event. Capacity rides I do from mid-winter on, no more than one a week obviously and usually not every week either.

There's more info on this sort of thing in the "33", the racing forum down below this ordinary riding forum.