Old 08-21-19, 03:23 AM
Hoyista

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Riveting
I think your FTP of 3.4 w/kg is off by a lot. It took me years of dedicated hard training to get to an FTP of 3.0 w/kg (233 watts at 76 kg/168 lbs, and maybe 15% body fat), riding 5-6 days a week, 30-50 miles a day, with 80-120 mile rides on most weekends, and with tons of high intensity interval training, up to 800 watts on 10 sec sprints. At that point I was doing 100 mile rides at 19.9 mph, which is a huge difference compared to 75 miles at 15 mph, which at that speed, this online power calculator shows you have an FTP of about 1.2 w/kg https://www.omnicalculator.com/sports/cycling-wattage

If you want to crunch training numbers, like myself, it's either time to get your smart trainer calibrated correctly, and/or buy a good power meter.
I'm not saying it's perfect but my FTP is clearly not 72 watts. It's also not really the point of the thread.

@Carbonfiberboy Still confusing but thanks! Ahh I've seen stomps before, Chris Pritchard loves them in his YouTube videos, makes sense really coming from a track background,.The speed one you describe does look a lot like the Tabata protocol in the book and also the sprint intervals so that clears that up thank you.

Back to the capacity sessions though, what would that look like if they were condensed into a 1hr indoor session? You describe them as intervals over FTP but not silly over. The book's example is 1 minute I guess 10% over FTP then straight into 2 minutes at ~25% over FTP estimating from the bar chart. 3 minutes rest then repeat those blocks another 4 times.

I think my main problem now is finding these types of workouts and getting them on Zwift, in a logical order. This is where I went wrong last year, I was following training plans and picking out workouts without looking at the bigger picture. I'll head over to the racing forum and have a browse.