View Single Post
Old 09-18-19, 03:29 PM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 293 Times in 216 Posts
Due to laziness I did not read most of the responses above.

Please stop using 'formulae' to calculate your saddle height, or if you do just use it as a starting point. All the calculations I have seen are far to simple to be accurate for any population of cyclists - they don't take foot size, cleat placement, flexibility, cranks length, etc. into account.

The long-accepted way to adjust your saddle is to keep raising it incrementally until your hips start to rock, then drop it back to the last position where your hips aren't rocking. Once you get the feel for proper leg extension you are likely to be able to feel the need to adjust by simply riding... you will get on and think "I think my saddle needs to be (higher/lower)."

Also, do not adjust your saddle height to make it comfortable to put your feet on the ground. Your legs should be almost straight when pedal is at the bottom, and the pedal is higher than the ground, therefore proper saddle height puts your feet just out of reach of the ground. In fact, on most road or cross bikes, you can probably get your saddle height in a pretty good range by setting it such that your toes just reach the ground.
Likes For Wilfred Laurier: