Old 11-13-17, 01:24 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by kings run east
Matthijs Büchli (BEAT) looked really impressive in Pruszków in the keirin final, he followed it up with another great performance in Manchester.

How often do privateers beat out national teams?
It's pretty common.

I don't know the details, but basically all one has to do is register as a UCI Track Trade Team and do the necessary paperwork. The rider is an paid or unpaid employee of the team.

The UCI has a Points system. You get points for placing in official UCI events. The bigger the event, the more points on the line.

For World Cup Participation:
Participation
The competitions shall be for national selections and registered track teams comprising riders aged 18 and over.

In a specific event, Top 4 Junior riders at the latest Junior World Championships can participate in the World Cup of the same season. The participation in the individual events shall be restricted to riders with at least 250 points in the respective UCI Track Ranking. To be eligible, each rider must have the minimum amount of points required either on the opening date of the online registration of the first leg of the World Cup (art. 3.4.005), or in the latest update of the respective UCI Track Ranking. For the development of track cycling, the track commission may grant dispensation of this requirement. The participation in each competition of the world cup determines the eligibility of the national federations to the corresponding event of the world championships according to article 9.2.027bis.
So, based on my understanding, I could start a UCI Track Team (CQ's All Stars), but we still couldn't go to a World Cup event...unless the riders had at least 250 points (within a given time period...not sure if it's 1 year or 2 years).

So, at the national level:
- Elite Nats 1st Place: 100pts
- Elite Nats 1st Place: 90pts
- Elite Nats 1st Place: 80pts
- Elite Nats 24th and later Place: 1pts

At one time, I had 1 UCI Point

Or participate in other UCI Senior (Elite) events like many of the Pro events held at TTown in the summer. Those should offer points as well.

So, to gain automatic entry into a World Cup event, the rider(s) would have to have at least 250pts in their respective disciplines (not sure how that works...if it's by event or Sprinter/Enduro, or simply Track...)

OR

"Special Dispensation", Read: If the UCI thinks you can hang, they will let you participate. For example, Chris Hoy is retired and his points have expired. But, if he joined a team, trained, and then asked the UCI to participate in a World Cup event, he would likely be granted access.

OR

I think National Teams get automatic access for any rider they choose. So, if some hotshot kid is burning up the track but doesn't have enough points, (s)he can still ride as part of the National Team. I think this is how Philip Hindes came out of nowhere leading up to London.

I could be totally wrong about all of the above, but that's my limited understanding

Last edited by carleton; 11-13-17 at 01:37 PM.