View Single Post
Old 03-23-11, 10:03 PM
Chris L
Every lane is a bike lane

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by skijor View Post
I've heard this excuse before. Exceptional service?...would you like a foot rub or perhaps a massage while you eat your meal? Sheesh! Try working as wait staff for a week and you'll realize how ridiculous your rationale to save a couple bucks is.
You do realise that most of the world feels the same way I do, don't you? Seriously. Besides, why do people working as wait staff think they're job is any harder than anyone else's? Today in this city there are people working in the construction industry, for example, in temperatures of around 33 degrees C, in the sun, lifting heavy objects all day. I don't see anyone offering them a tip.

And yes, I might tip for a massage while receiving the meal.

Originally Posted by skijor View Post
As has been said, if you can afford the meal, you can afford the tip. And a tip is deserved for good service. If you received poor service, then leave a lesser or no tip. And yes, tips are taxed. Even the ones you apparently aren't leaving.
It's not a question of what I can or can't afford, it's a question of what I choose to pay. If I pay $20 for a meal, then that's what it costs. If someone wants me to leave another $2 or whatever, they should factor that into the cost of the meal, then I can make an informed decision about whether or not I think the meal is worth $22.

BTW, do you realise how stupid your "tips are taxed" statement sounds? I work as a tax agent (incidentally, I didn't ask for a tip from the client for whom I saved over $20,000 last week). Let me tell you, most people who receive cash tips don't pay a cent of tax on them. It's one of the reasons a lot of people are willing to work for lower wages in exchange for being paid in cash, because neither the tax man nor the government welfare agencies have any way of tracking that money. Nobody has any idea what a waiter received in cash tips last week, except possibly their manager who took a cut of it for themselves.

That is all.