Old 01-13-19, 01:22 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 171 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2949 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 216 Posts
Five Ten may have the stiffest and grippiest soles for platform pedals, especially the Freerider versions, and some models look like ordinary walking or activity shoes. The only criticism I've read is that some of the high end models have soles that trade off durability in favor of grip.

Shimano, Pearl Izumi, Merrell and others all made good shoes. It's just a matter of finding a compromise between grip and stiffness for pedaling while also being suitable for ordinary walking. And price.

My hybrid has platform pedals (Stolen Brand Thermalites, good and cheap) and I switch between Merrell shoes (good soft soles for walking, not quite as stiff and grippy as I'd like for pedaling), RBX all purpose athletic shoes and a pair of 45 year old Herman Survivor boots I've had since I was 15. They're heavy but heavily insulated and comfortable for winter rides.

My road bike has clipless pedals and due to back, neck and shoulder injuries I've had to made adjustments and modifications. I can't slam the stem but can still manage with it about 2" below saddle height. I just switched from a flat to slightly curved saddle to see if it corrects some lower back posture problems. Thick padded bar tape to ease jolts to my shoulder and neck. I can't handle the drops comfortable for long so I may switch to compact drops. But eventually I may not be able to ride with drops, at least not on an older style road bike. Newer road bikes with compact frames and drop bars and ergo hoods are much more comfortable.