Thread: Handlebar Tape
View Single Post
Old 07-14-19, 01:04 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '87 Schwinn Prelude, Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo, '18 Diamondback Syncr

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3253 Post(s)
Liked 315 Times in 220 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes View Post
Yes some people still believe that certain colors are somehow gendered but there are people who believe that the Earth is flat, Elvis is alive working at a Denny's in Fresno and George Washington defeated the red coats at LAX (it was LaGuardia).

The reason I brought up the silly construct of gender is because someone decided that a pattern is "girly" which is ridiculous. Same thing with the whole binary everyone has to conform to male or female check the box wham bam thank you either sir or mam no exceptions. It is a thing that just doesn't matter. Be who you are and that is all that really matters. I see no need to check a box or make things so rigid except maybe around the bottom bracket area where you want to combat flex while pedaling.

Also if we are going to stick with rigid definitions for gender what about Male seahorses? If throughout biology females have babies why is it that in this particular instance seahorse biology is different from everyone else?
Yes, agreed- we all should be who we are because that is all that matters.
Using that line of thinking, if someone is the type of person that doesn't want their bike to look like a bike that they think many women would enjoy, then that person should be who they are and not make their bike look that way(girly).

My wife doesn't like to dress how my mom dresses, even though both are female. It's because within gender there lies many preferences in how to display yourself for others to see. It's absolutely a spectrum and there is to 'right's or 'wrong' place to fall on that spectrum. There is also nothing wrong with seeing trends and tendencies, then identifying said trends and tendencies within that spectrum as 'womanly', 'girly', or 'manly'. That's simply identifying what you see happening in front of you.
Labels are how we naturally categorize. That isn't dangerous or even bad, in and of its own. When people are treated differently based on the labels thrust upon them, that's when there is an issue to discuss.

As for seahorses...I know they aren't mammals(what I mentioned). Beyond that, I don't know much about them. I can say that nature often has exceptions too though.