Old 08-16-19, 10:04 AM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: Paramounts, PX-10s, Mondias, Motobecane Grand Record, Specialized Allez Carbon, and Nishiki Tri-A

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Slightspeed View Post
Been trying to figure out the Simplex derailleur on my '78 PR10. Recently the chain is dragging between the big gear and jockey wheel. The derailleur is leaning forward at a different angle than most other Simplex that I see. I have a long cage Simplex that I'm thinking of trying, except it has a mounting claw attached, and this one is direct mount. Notvsure if I can remove the claw and just bolt it on, or if will screw up the pivot screw. Sure wish these had b-screws. I'm afraid the pivot spring in this one has given up. There is some tension, but the derailleur is pointing so far forward that the chain wrap at the cage is wierd looking. It also has difficulty shifting up the freewheel, getting hung between the big and 2nd gear down. The lowest gear I run is a 40t front, 28t rear.

Yeah, I know, it needs a new cable too.

My bike on the left. I also want to raise the brake levers a smidge, which means re-wrapping the bars.
SS,
Very nice looking Peugeot.
I had the same problem with my RD and found a thread on this by googling "Repair Simplex RD Bike Forums".some RD's have to be removed by unscrewing the RD from the rear and many get the spring plate damaged by trying to use an"allen" on the front bolt stripping the retainer..there was a proposed fix for the plate that holds a spring in place, unfortunately, it did not work for me so I had to buy another RD to solve the problem.
Hopefully, your RD plate is not suffering the same issue and only the spring has slipped and it is just a matter of fine-tuning.
BTW I always ride a little before final wrapping of the bars but understand why you were in a hurry to ride the great-looking P.
Best, Ben

Last edited by xiaoman1; 08-16-19 at 10:10 AM.