Old 12-04-15, 08:10 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by shovelhd
For most it is a hobby, but for some, Junior, U23, and Elite, it is a stepping stone to a profession as well as the Olympics. We cannot ignore that. Now if we are talking purely grassroots racing, absolutely.
true enough, but there are only like 8 guys on the olympic team. My concern goes back to what Grumpy posted re: barriers to participation. For many being drug tested will be a step too high for what they want to be involved in. And it, to my, mind will expand the lure of fondos and grinders and such. Thinning the base of racers, creating a competition for limited course resources, and making it more difficult to put on 'race' events. I also truly beleive the only reason some of these guys got caught was that the testing is so rare. I don't believe they would have caught Meeker otherwise. He certainly has the funds and track record to cheat smarter. And David Anthony said the only reason he got caught was that he didn't take seriously the prospect of being tested at the NY Gran Fondo. He was out for a fun day with his friends. Had he thought he'd get tested he would have skipped a few days of epo and his system would have been clear. So it's possible cheaters will just cheat smarter.