Old 12-26-17, 05:00 PM
dunderhi

Bikes: Little Wing, XTRACK, Electron Pro, SuperCorsa, Paramount, & Thunderdrome

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
Chances are, during your first few races, the track director won't (or at least shouldn't) let you simply ride away from the field and solo to the win. That doesn't teach you anything. There is a lot to learn even in the lower ranks about how the "flow" of a race happens and the group dynamics. It would be a disservice if you'd never felt that then a few weeks later you are in a P/1/2 race and can't ride away and are uncomfortable and don't know what to do or what to expect. So, stay in the pack until you hear the bell.
+1

Learning how to race track is very much about rider safety. P/1/2/3's have certain expectations on how racers in their fields will handle their bikes and their positions within the field. In my book, riding off the front in every race, means there won't be a fast-track for an upgrade. I personally won't recommend an upgrade until I see that a new track racer isn't a danger to the other riders. Yeah, I'm the guy who has sit-downs with the riders who made me cringe while I'm up on the judges stand.