View Single Post
Old 05-14-19, 07:40 AM
jim_pridx

Bikes: 2010 Bob Brown Cycles tandem, 2019 Co-Mo Carrera tandem, 1980 Richardson tandem, 2014 Cervelo R3, 2018 Specialized Roubaix, 1985 Bianchi Campione, 1983 Trek 720, 2020 Trek Fuel EX8, 2021 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by LV2TNDM
The rule of thumb is to divide retail price (add upgrade differential) by two and add or subtract, based on age, condition and miles.

If you have original receipts for everything and the bike has been well loved and cared for, then the price may go up. Receipts for its service life don't hurt either. Price also depends on size with more common size combinations bringing a higher price.

Given that it's now fifteen years old, expect to be below the halfway mark to some degree. However, the newer components may edge things up a bit.

You'll want to also get lots of comps. Check as many online classifieds as you can to gauge value.

Ultimately, is your bike enough of a discount from what's currently available in equal quality to make a customer be tempted? I've seen such high priced used tandems, I just laugh. It doesn't matter if you've "put thousands into it" if I can buy something new with professional assembly, fitting, warranty and follow-up service for a similar price. The price difference has to be significant enough so that I'm getting a "good" deal AND won't get burned by unexpected issues that arise (Spoke failure, for example. The seller could have had several failures before selling and had them replaced before posting for sale. No way to know.) I was interested in a Periscope about a year ago. The seller made a big production about how great the bike was and all that. But when I considered its ten year age AND the fact that they admitted they bought it on closeout, I quickly determined that they were basically selling it for the purchase price. I guess they think buyers are kinda stupid. So I told 'em what it was worth and waited for the price to come down. They never moved on price. No big deal to me, there are a LOT of used tandems out there. Sellers simply have to accept the fact that they have to take a haircut on their price.

Plus, if you've had it for fifteen years, how much pleasure has it given you each year over that time span in monetary value? If you think of it that way, you could almost give it away! (I kid.)

Good luck determining a fair price. But remember, set the price high enough to give yourself some bargaining room. Either way, if you price it fairly for what it is, a serious and knowledgeable buyer will recognize this and will approach the sale seriously.

Advertise here:
Tandem Club of America Classifieds
Bike Forums
MTBR
Craigslist
Bicycle Bluebook MIGHT be an option. They advertise through Craigslist
Great advice! Another place to advertise is through the Tandems East website:

Tandem Bicycles For Sale, Tandem Bike Components For Sale

Good luck with the sale!