View Single Post
Old 06-02-19, 08:21 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by alloo
So I rode both ways today. I felt good going to work. Coming home, I was a little slower because of the wind, and the rain that we had today. The cherry creek trail was flooded so I rode on surface sidewalks. Followed google maps. I even rode through the graveyard. On the way home, I stopped at a Freddy's steak burger and rehydrated with an Arnold Palmer. I am a type 2 diabetic. Since I've started commuting one way my blood sugars have been <100. I am so happy and have more energy when I ride to work. Someone asked how I get home when I commute one way. I take public transportation home. I haven't owned a car since 2005, I usually ride my scooter to work and try to alternate days. On my days off, I try to ride my bike within a 5 mile radius of my home. For trips that are time sensitve or outside the radius, I ride my scooter. My Saturday is on Wednesday. I sometimes worry about cramping which hasn't happened yet. I drink water before, during and after my ride. I took an hour and 20 mins commuting home on my seven speed. Saturdays and Sundays I start work earlier so I feel more comfortable commuting in during sunlight.

Thank You for all your great advice. I've been commuting one way three times a week for two to three weeks now. I think one of my Saturday/Sunday I will ride both ways from now on. It will be interesting. I would still like to cut my commute time by 20 mins. I remember the first time I rode to work it took me 1 hour and 10 minutes. My legs feel good after I warm up, usually getting started the first 15 to 20 minutes I feel tight and tired. Once I hit the main bike trail, I go into high gear and cruise to work. For music, I have a hanging bluetooth speaker that I play reggae on. I like the Pedal forward beach cruiser because I can maintain a great posture, I get bend forward at work at my desk job.

Anyway, I continue to improve weekly, weather permitting. I think I found my new lifestyle/sport.
I don't know about cutting your commute time by 20 minutes, so don't get discouraged if that doesn't happen entirely. In fact, I've been bike commuting for 27 years and my average speed has dropped slightly as I approach 60. But my cardio is great, and while I don't "train" the biking has kept me fit enough to enjoy life.

And then there's the mental health benefits!

Whatever you choose to do, two-way, one-way, whatever...it sounds like your attitude will keep you going and achieving most of your goals.

Remember, ride YOUR ride, don't judge yourself by others. This is what has kept me going for 27 years.
Likes For BobbyG: