3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
And yet you are judging e-bike riders. Why would anyone who does not ride or is not interested in riding an ebike even read a thread about it? I don't read the competition threads, just not relevant to me. There are just some analog riders who feel the need to express their superiority (in their minds) over e-bikers. Why are you even in this thread? It just feels like you are trolling...
....I really hate to generalize. but I will do so in this one case. As a demographic, e-bike riders in the majority seem much more interested in going fast on a "bicycle" than in exercise per se. Were you not using the same bike lanes, streets, and MUP's as me, I would have little more than a passing interest in the topic. But you do use those same facilities, and in many cases (personal observation over several years), the e-bike riders I encounter here in my city have neither the experience, judgement, or handling skills to ride a "bicycle" to safely ride those vehicles in the presence of both cars and me as an "analog" bicycle rider. So yes, after a few incidents of idiocy, I give them a wide berth. And yes, that does involve some judgement.

20 mph is pretty fast on a bike, and anyone who achieves it instantly by simply buying that capacity without some prior experience working up to it is dangerous on the road.

If the trade off is getting more people out of cars, I'm willing to go along for the experimental ride. But missionary zeal for e-bikes as you have expressed it here is unlikely to convince me that I am mistaken. Take care of yourself. I'm sorry about your knee. I have one that was surgically repaired, but I'm fortunate in that cycling on a regular bike seems to help mine.
Likes For 3alarmer: