Old 09-19-19, 11:49 AM
northbend 

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 3,794 Times in 668 Posts
The next morning we gather after breakfast for the Day 2 ride back to Kila. This year, I volunteered to drive SAG for the 1st half of the day. I stopped along the route and took some pictures of riders passing by.

Hans, the infamous rider number 86 and leader of the Squadra 86

Hans! by NBend, on Flickr

Dave’s wife Dawn and daughter Emma

D&E 3 by NBend, on Flickr

D&E 2 by NBend, on Flickr

It wasn’t clear to me at the lunch stop who would actually take over driving responsibilities so I hung around after all the riders had left and the crew started to break down the lunch tables. Finally, someone came over looking for the keys so I was off the hook. He was driving the SAG directly back to the Kila pub on the paved highway. I grabbed my Bruce Gordon off of the vehicle and started the climb up 9 mile hill alone, the broom wagon up somewhere ahead of me. That experience was in itself is different than any other year - I am riding a different bike for day 2 and I am the last person on the course.

It’s super quiet, I settled into a rhythm and made my way up past the broom wagon and maybe 6 or 8 other riders. One of those riders was Dave’s oldest daughter Emma who was now riding alone, Momma having hitched a ride to the top. Emma is an impressive rider. Strong, with good form that reminds me of her Dad, she matched me pedal stroke for pedal stroke up until the final pitch to Browns Meadow Pass where I met up with Bob Freeman and Gugie.

Cheers, Bob! by NBend, on Flickr

It's a wrap, Gugie! by NBend, on Flickr

Looking through the beer selection in the coolers, I was disappointed there was nothing left except Bud Lite. Thats when @Choke saved the day offering to make me a martini. Another Cino first. Martinis on Browns Meadow Pass. Well done, Scott!

Choke serves up Martinis on Brown's Meadow summit. by NBend, on Flickr

I descend off of the pass with Gugie. He gets a flat. We stop and fix it with Chokes help (thanks Scott!) We start off again and BAM! I hit a rock and double flat. Choke again to the rescue…

We start off again and almost immediately, Gugie flats again. This time the front tire. Good thing Choke is there with the floor pump.

When we get to the finish, the party is in full swing at the Kila Pub. Another great Cino in the books. Dave did a fantastic job bringing Cino back to life. The crowd was smaller (approx 70 riders?) but it was essentially the same vibe as in previous years. Dave is already talking of heading it up again next year. I’m happy to know where I’ll be the week after Labor day 2020…

Dave, thank you so much for bringing back Cino. You did an excellent job. The magic that is Cino was not lost when you took the lead. That is a testament to you and the Godfathers of Cino. It was so good to see everyone again. Thanks to all the folks who volunteered to helped out. You folks are awesome.

After dropping Gugie off at the airport on Monday afternoon I start the long drive to Wisconsin…..

Last edited by northbend; 09-19-19 at 12:01 PM.
Likes For northbend: