Old 09-19-19, 11:51 AM
northbend 

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 3,794 Times in 668 Posts
I took my time driving, not having to be there until Friday. Original plan was to stop for a day and ride the Mikkelson Trail in the Black Hills of South Dakota but ma nature had other plans. It was stormy when I passed by. Actually, it was storming pretty intensely for the next few days. On Thursday, I passed though huge squalls that flooded Interstate 90 highway in Minnesota. Traffic moving at walking speed in one spot where the water was up to the door jambs, a big bow wave forming off the front of the car as I passed through..

Finally safe and sound in Mineral Point, Wisconsin I check into the Walker House on Friday Afternoon. Built in 1836 from stone it looks like it just grew out of the ground. I walk over to Tony’s Tap brewpub that evening for an informal meet n greet. The place was soon packed with folks that have come into town for the ride. It solidified my opinion that folks from the Midwest are some of the friendliest people you’ll ever meet.

Saturday morning, I met @crank_addict for breakfast at the red rooster cafe before going out with a small group of folks on a short ride. After all the talk on the “Do This” bike forum thread about hills and gearing it had me wondering if I had maybe made the wrong choice for gearing on the Holland I was using for the weekend: 36-26 low gear. I soon realized it was not going to be a problem. The climbs are all pretty short - maybe 100 - 300 feet gained on each one so even if there were some steep sections, they never lasted very long. I did find some of the loose gravel on top of some of the newly chip sealed roads a little concerning so I was very cautious on the descents. I’ll take gravel on a dirt surface any day over gravel on top of a hard surface.

It quickly became apparent who the fast riders were going to be this weekend: @nomadmax and @Chrome Molly were out front early and never looked back. I was following them for a bit until I realized no one else was around so I throttled back and hung out with the main body of the group. 1st flat of the day of course would have to go to @RobbieTunes and I got one soon afterwards as well. Later that afternoon, I drove over to Hollandale for the Bike show. I unloaded and assembled 4 bikes (Holland, Singer, Bruce Gordon and Hobbs of Barbican) staking them out together on the lawn in front of the meeting hall. Dave had set up the stakes in rows perfectly suited for such a display. There was plenty of room to walk about and admire everyone’s bikes. A staggering array of interesting and beautiful bikes.

The show on Saturday by NBend, on Flickr

Drive detail by NBend, on Flickr

Created by an art student? by NBend, on Flickr

Phish flask by NBend, on Flickr

Ephgrave by NBend, on Flickr

I was a little worried what folks would think about my bikes, the Singer and Bruce Gordon still beat up and dirty from riding at Cino the weekend before but no one was critical about any of that. Everyone was really cool.

At the awards banquet after dinner that night, Dave awarded my Hobbs with a beautiful plaque for best “Not Italian?” bike. Thanks Dave!

Last edited by northbend; 09-19-19 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Wrong dude mentioned
Likes For northbend: