Old 09-19-19, 11:53 AM
northbend 

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 3,794 Times in 668 Posts
On Sunday, we met again at Hollandale for the ride. Dave had coffee and pastries laid out for everyone. We gathered around the front of the meeting hall for a group photo before folks began to trickle out on the ride.

The Sunday morning line up by NBend, on Flickr

I left with the main group and just followed wheels for a while. When I did need to do some navigation I carried my bulky camera in a fanny pack and stopped to take some photos of some of the riders as they climbed a minor hill. My favorite picture is this one of a guy I had talked with on Friday night. I’ve forgotten his name but he was telling me that he was an original rider in the ‘bike centennial” in ’76. I love how he is celebrating his little victory staying ahead of those young whippersnappers. If anyone knows who this is, please let me know.

My favorite picture from sunday by NBend, on Flickr

After catching up with the group, I realized I was carrying the wrong map/queue sheet for the 100k route. Dave gave me his copy when we stopped at an early rest stop.

I spent the latter 1/2 of the ride hanging out with crank addict and really enjoyed his company. We rode at an easy pace savoring the route. We kind of did it “Cino Style” stopping for a beer in New Glarus and taking time to snap photos of each other along the way. I count those hours as the highlight of my weekend.

Scott 2 by NBend, on Flickr

Scott 1 by NBend, on Flickr

This is daryland by NBend, on Flickr

Beautiful farm scenes by NBend, on Flickr

My camera is too bulky to use while on the fly so I had some catching up to do after packing it away. It really detracts from the ride. I miss my small point and shoot camera that I lost last year. I realize now I need to get a small pocket camera again.

It was a real pleasure to meet so many notable and esteemed characters I had become familiar with on Bikeforums and CR.
@RobbieTunes, I was thrilled to finally meet you! Thanks for helping make this weekend a success and for making this stranger feel welcome in your old home town.

Robbie by NBend, on Flickr

Thanks again, @iab for throwing a party that would have made Fausto proud. Everything was so well thought out and brilliantly executed.

It was a fun birthday party by NBend, on Flickr

So that was my take on the past couple of weekends. An excellent finish to a remarkable Summer biking season I will never forget.

The driftless area of SW Wisconsin is kind of like an amusement park for cyclists with so many small winding country roads to explore in the region. I’ll be sorely tempted to visit again. I think I’d take the train next time though.. That drive was a killer.
Likes For northbend: