View Single Post
Old 11-11-19, 02:24 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Force eTap v. Ultegra Di2 v. Dura Ace

Hi, bike gurus. I need some help. I am going to be buying a new road bike fairly soon. I haven't settled on a frame yet, there are so many that could work. I will probably see what pricing is and let that help guide me. Overall, though, I hope to keep it under $6K. Am kind of looking at an Orca, as I had one in the past, but they've gotten pretty expensive, so not sure.

I currently ride a 2018 BMC SLR02 w/105-R5800--got the bike just a few months before R7000 came out. I really enjoy this bike. My only wish really is for better wheels (I have Aksiums right now) and a crisper, smoother shifting experience. It's already pretty darn good. But I would appreciate better.

Which brought me to the possibility if electronic shifting. I have read everything I can get my hands on. But I've never experienced it myself. The question for you all is, if my goal is crisper, smoother operation of the shifting process, is there one of these three that is preferable? I can't afford Red eTap or Dura Ace Di2, so those are out.

I do not race. I ride for the sport and the cardio and to get my butt out of the house. I ride mostly in a decent-sized city, where a lot of stopping and starting and shifting is required. I do also get out of town on some long reasonably flat stuff., but my city itself is extremely hilly. And lastly, I'm pretty sure I've never ridden more than about 120 miles in one go in my life. My usual sort of longer ride would be, like, 60-75 miles with a bunch of hills.

I really appreciate any thoughts you might have, including something completely different from what I list. Totally open-minded here. Very grateful for your assistance.