Thread: Tube patching!
View Single Post
Old 11-15-19, 01:46 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2339 Post(s)
Liked 2,832 Times in 1,545 Posts
here is an older link on the subject https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...atch-kits.html

Originally Posted by ka0use
when i was a kid, ever so long ago, we had monkey grip patch kits and m.g. hot vulcanised patches. the hot ones were put on at a REAL service station. the patch was on one side of a steel tub thing and the tub was filled with something that would burn hot. the repair feller would put the tube on a horizontal clamp (table mounted), put the patch thingy on and set it on fire. when the fire went out he'd close the clamp, forcing the tub onto the tube. let it set a bit, then released it. the patch would far outlast the tube and my tubes had lotsa patches. cost 25 cents, including labor.

i had a home kit in which there was rubber cement you'd set on fire (i love fire), then apply the patch and keep pressure on for a minute. the kit was in an oval cardboard can and the lid was a roughener. inside was glue and patches. i think one can had one large patch and you trimmed to suit, saving the rest of it for future patches.

in 2002 i had a flat on my car in the wild woods of wyoming and limped in to casper on the doughnut. a walmart had monkey grip tire plug kits! bought one (included tools) for maybe $5 and fixed it in the lot. 2 blocks over was a tire shop and i aired up there.

on the road again......

whoaaaa, update! ebay has this for bid starting at $12 (march 10 2013).
description:

MONKEY GRIP "SIZZLE" VULCANIZING PATCH KITS WITH CLAMP
Vintage Monkey Grip Box with 1 complete patch, 1 in-complete patch, 2 scrapers from other kits and a like new clamp!

The box has it's original lid and flaps. There are some wrinkles on the box but the graphics are intact!

The Clamp is vintage and is in almost new condition.

​​​​​​​