Thread: Disks not ready
View Single Post
Old 02-11-21, 04:41 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Liked 697 Times in 353 Posts
No what I’m advocating is that the market for high end road bikes, particularly for amateur racing, has been artificially distorted in an arcane fashion, by an arcane rule. So when Chris Froome says discs are not ready for road racing, that case is even more so for an amateur racer not subject UCI weight limits and not blessed with Pro Tour support ( I could not possibly imagine making a wheel change myself from a neutral wheel truck with a thru axle with any hope of getting back in the race.)

If you read my comments, you’d see I have disc brakes bikes, and acknowledge they have their place. Frankly, If I was going to buy a new race bike it would have disc brakes simply because I don’t change bikes often, and in the useful life of a new bike bought now, the market, technology and parts availability will pretty
much go totally disc.

That doesn’t change my position that right now a rimmed brake road bike is still a better tool for an amateur racer, and what’s going on in the market, as influenced by what Pros ride is distorted.

So I’m not trying to tell what people to ride, as much as give context to a situation where the market is eschewing very light race bikes in favor of heavier disc equipped bikes, for applications which in my opinion they are not the best tool.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.